When to Refer

There is no specific advice in the Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guidelines or the AACE Guidelines on when to refer male patients living with HIV who have hypogonadism.

In the absence of specific guidelines for PLWHIV, patients should be treated according to existing national guidelines for hypogonadism, with consideration given to any potential DDIs with ARVs or other medications that patients may be taking.

In particular, if patients present with symptoms suggestive of hypogonadism, referral to an endocrinologist should be considered for further investigation, diagnosis and ongoing treatment and monitoring.